Top 10 Vic quad bike rebate questions answered

Presented by

Further light has been shed on the Victorian Government’s quad bike safety rebate scheme. Further light has been shed on the Victorian Government’s quad bike safety rebate scheme. Further light has been shed on the Victorian Government’s quad bike safety rebate scheme.

Victorian farmers can start applying for rebates up to $600 for the purchase of a rollover protection device for an all-terrain vehicle (ATV), or up to $1200 for the purchase of a side­by­side utility task vehicle (UTV) from the start of October.

The Victorian Government has allocated $6 million to its quad bike safety rebate scheme in an effort to try and reduce the number of fatalities and serious injuries that occur as the result of quad bike accidents. The rebates apply to purchases made from the start of this month.

WorkSafe Victoria and the Victorian Farmers Federation (VFF) have released further details on the rebate program, in the form of a frequently asked questions document.

The answers to the following 10 questions should help clear up any confusion that farmers may have on how the scheme will work and who is eligible:


1. What can you get a rebate for?

Eligible farmers can apply for a rebate of either $1200 for the purchase of an alternate vehicle such as a UTV. The alternate vehicle must be designed for use in agriculture and have rollover protection and a seatbelt fitted at the point of sale.

Small commercial vehicles, such as utes, are excluded.

The alternative is up to $600 for the purchase of up to two operator protection devices (OPD).

There are currently two OPD devices that meet the criteria and are eligible for the rebate: the Quadbar and the ATV Lifeguard.

2. Who is eligible to apply for a rebate?

The rebate is available to farmers who live and operate a business in Victoria, have no more than 19 full­time employees and already own a quad bike for work purposes. Farming must be your main source of income. Farmers who are owner­operators with no employees are eligible to apply.


3. How can I apply?

You will be able to apply online, by email or by post. Further details will be available soon on the WorkSafe and VFF websites. You will need to include proof of purchase with your application. Your proof of purchase must include the business name, address, ABN number, payment date, description and the price.

4. How long will the rebate scheme be available?

Rebates will be available until October 1, 2018, or until the funds are exhausted – whichever occurs first.  Rebates will be allocated on a first-in-first-served basis. Anyone whose application is declined due to incomplete or missing information will be notified and given 21 days to provide the missing information or documentation.

5. Can the rebate cover the cost of the OPD being fitted?

No. The rebate of up to $600 is available for the purchase of the OPD. Installation is not included.

6. Can I claim the rebate on an OPD I make myself?

No. The rebate is only available for OPDs that have been designed and manufactured in accordance with approved engineering standards. A rebate may be available for a new OPD, if it can be demonstrated that the product has been suitably designed and manufactured according to appropriate engineering principles and that the product has been independently tested.

A person seeking to build their own OPD takes on the responsibility of the designer and manufacturer, and both have duties under the Occupational Health and Safety legislation. It would be preferable (and probably cheaper) to buy an approved product already on the market.

7. Will fitting an OPD void my warranty or affect my insurance?

The VFF says it is unaware of any concerns in relation to warranties or insurance. However, farmers should seek advice from the appropriate insurer and manufacturer. If a manufacturer of dealer states that the fitting of an OPD voids the quad bike’s warranty, then please ask them to put that claim in writing.

8. What counts as a UTV?

A UTV differs from a quad bike (ATV) in a number of ways. They typically can accommodate two to six occupants and have roll­over protection, seat belts and a cargo box at the rear of the vehicle.

9. Can I claim the rebate on a second­hand UTV?

No. However, a supplier’s demonstrator model is classified as a new vehicle for the purposes of the rebate.

10. What is not covered by the rebate?

Rebates will not cover the purchase of raw materials, second­hand items, service repairs or maintenance. Rebate solutions do not cover products or equipment for domestic, recreational or social activities.

If you're looking for used UTVs for sale, check out our listings.

You can also follow our updates by liking us on Facebook


Graders For Hire | Cranes For Hire | Telehandlers For Hire | Excavators For Hire